This double CD features two distinct quartets recorded live at the Village Vanguard, ten months apart. The group with Tom was one of Lovano’s most creative, and it exemplified the concistency and conception of improvisation that happens when a group is very free, but structured as well.
The Quartet with Mulgrew was more traditional, drawing on a repetoire of famous music, except for Sounds of Joy, which Lovano wrote to play with Blackwell.
They played that tune with more traditional harmonies here. This quartet reaches some beautiful heights in the classic tradition of swing and modern jazz.
- 1Disc 1: Fort Worth [Set 2]
- 2Disc 1: Birds Of Springtimes Gone By [Set 1]
- 3Disc 1: I Can't Get Started [Set 1]
- 4Disc 1: Uprising [Set 3]
- 5Disc 1: Sail Away [Set 2]
- 6Disc 1: Blues Not To Lose [Set 3]
- 7Disc 1: Song And Dance [Set 2]
- 8Disc 2: Lonnie's Lament [Set 2]
- 9Disc 2: Reflections [Set 2]
- 10Disc 2: Little Willie Leaps [Set 1]
- 11Disc 2: This Is All I Ask [Set 2]
- 12Disc 2: 26-2 [Set 2]
- 13Disc 2: Duke Ellington's Sound Of Love [Set 3]
- 14Disc 2: Sounds Of Joy [Set 1]